Well, in the end I did manage to use all of that embroidery floss. I played around with a few different ideas, thought about using the floral fabrics as coloring books, though about embroidering “green” or etc across the piece, but in the end I decided to stay simple.
I put the floral fabrics together essentially as they were, size-wise, then set them in the middle of the green lineny stuff & put a big green zigzag over the seams. Since I knew I didn’t want to highlight the floral patterns, I decided to just put an abstract pattern across the top of everything, & my old familiar loops were the obvious choice.
I started with a medium green & stitched a series of loopy rows across the middle panel. I wanted a more layered effect, though, so then I went back over one of the rows in each of the other floss colors.
I freehanded the additional loopy layers (I’d drawn the first set of rows on), following the original line but veering off here & there, the way freewheeling loops might do, & while I did sort of get the look I was going for, I wonder if the quilty running stitch that I liked so much when there was just the one layer of embroidery wasn’t the exact right stitch to show off what I went on to do.
Messy, maybe, but very green. And, like I said when I was writing about eight by eight for the back and forth project, all the embroidery on this one made it my favorite project thus far…until I start on June.
*As usual, I posted larger images than usual for the big reveal but looks like our template cuts off the sides so be sure to click the pictures for full size or check them out on the 8×8 flickr.